Cholesterol is one of those ‘health words’ that are very confusing, predominantly because what we frequently hear is to lower our cholesterol. However, therein lies the confusion, because:
- Cholesterol is a very important for supporting the structure of our cell membranes.
- There is bad cholesterol and good cholesterol. And what we want to lower is LDL that is bad – and raise HDL that is good.
Natural Ways To Control Cholesterol And Improve HDL Levels
The typical way to improve your different cholesterol levels are to take a statin, which one of the most widely prescribed of all the drugs. And although these drugs do work, especially for lowering LDL bad cholesterol and triglycerides, I would always prefer natural and nutritional solutions whenever possible.
The following is a group of lifestyle and nutritional diet changes that can be made to lower LDL levels, while raising your HDL levels:
- The number one way to lower bad cholesterol is to become leaner, by eliminating your bad fats intake and losing weight.
- Increase your frequency and intensity of exercise. The more you can do this the better, and think of 3 hours a week of ‘sweating and panting’ as a minimum – this is the best way to raise your HDL levels, and do note that diet has a minimal effect of being able to increase HDL.
- Quit smoking if you are currently doing so. Besides being tremendously beneficial for your overall health, smoking is known to lower your HDL.
- I mentioned eliminating bad fats above, and while doing this also increase your intake of good fats – and especially omega-3, which will reduce LDL along with excess inflammation you may be increasing from bad fats.
- Have 1 alcoholic drink per day. Of all the different things that may be possible for increasing HDL, this is not one that I do or really have an interest in doing, but there are a number of studies that show that this helps.
- Supplement with omega-3 anti-inflammatory supplements, and anti-inflammatory herbal antioxidants like ginger or turmeric, and recent studies have shown that increasing HDL cholesterol is another astaxanthin antioxidant benefit.
Nutritional Health Supplements That Have Cholesterol Improving Properties
Articles And News About Raising HDL Cholesterol
Maintaining recommended HDL cholesterol levels is important in reducing the risk for heart disease – this can often be accomplished through simple lifestyle changes.
Doctors often talk about ways to raise people’s high-density lipoprotein (HDL) cholesterol levels, because this “good” cholesterol is associated with a reduced risk of cardiovascular disease.
Countless studies show exercise helps lower triglycerides, which at high levels are linked to coronary artery disease. Exercise is also linked to raising HDL levels in the blood, also known as the “good” cholesterol.
Good Glucose Levels And Glucose Levels What is How to Raise HDL – The Good Cholesterol.