Research in recent years has confirmed that many of the health conditions and diseases that afflict mankind are caused or at least exacerbated by inflammation. Due to the seriousness of this problems, natural remedies that have strong anti-inflammatory properties are constantly searched for.
Inflammation is actually an attempt by the body to heal itself and without it, the body would never be able to heal infections or injuries.
But when the body’s natural inflammatory response gets stuck on high, rather than resolving itself like it should, this chronic inflammation is what leads to health problems – leading to the need for chronic inflammation remedies.
Scientists have formulated many drugs to deal with inflammation through the years and these have often been hailed as wonder drugs. Aspirin is one of the earliest drug responses that many thought was a miracle.
Known more as a pain reliever, aspirin also reduces inflammation which is the cause of most pain. Because eventually it was discovered that aspirin is also a blood thinner and can cause other issues, newer drugs were formulated to work differently such as ibuprofen and naproxen.
Unfortunately, these wonder drugs have side effects that can be more harmful than the original condition, particularly with long-term use. The American Journal of Medicine published a report not long ago that claimed more than 100,000 people are hospitalized annually due to complications directly related to these various drugs. Peptic ulcers, intestinal bleeding, kidney and liver damage are the main culprits.
These side effects, along with a growing awareness of alternative medicine, are driving more and more people to look for natural anti-inflammatory herbs to help rather than synthetic drugs. Ancient medical systems such as the Indian Ayurvedic tradition have long used a host of natural plant-based medicines known for their herbal anti-inflammatory benefits. Western medicine is finally taking these herbal alternatives seriously and studies have confirmed many health benefits from various herbs and plants.
Natural Anti-Inflammatory Herbs
There are many natural anti-inflammatory herbs and it would take a book to cover them all but here are a few of the most commonly used herbs for treating pain and inflammation:
- Ginger – This root, or rhizome, has long been used to soothe upset stomachs and digestive issues. Due to a group of substances called gingerols, ginger also has anti-inflammatory properties just as much as ibuprofen without any of the side effects.
- Boswellia – This herb has been shown to even help with rheumatoid arthritis due to the way boswellia binds and hinders the enzymes that cause inflammation in the body.
- Devil’s claw – An herb that contains substances called iridoid glycosides which are natural anti-inflammatories and analgesics.
- Turmeric – A rhizome from the ginger family, this spice is used to flavor curry. It also has powerful anti-inflammatory properties as it inhibits two of the enzymes that cause inflammation in the body.
- Willow bark – A favored remedy of many cultures, willow bark contains salicylic acid, the same active ingredient as aspirin. Willow bark provides the same benefits as aspirin without the negative side effects and can be used by anyone except those allergic or sensitive to aspirin.
Natural Anti-Inflammatory Herbal Supplement
For an effective natural herbal anti-inflammatory supplement, take a look at the Zyflamend Herbal Anti-Inflammatory.
This supplement is a combination of 10 highly concentrated extracts of herbs that have been specifically selected, because they are known to promote a healthy inflammation response – included are ginger and turmeric, which may be the most powerful of the herbal anti-inflammatories.
Do note that just because the supplement is made from natural herbs, this doesn’t mean that you can’t have an allergic reaction to some of the included herbs.
So, start out slowly with only 1 capsule, instead of the recommended 2. Also, herbs like ginger can possibly cause heartburn; this was a concern of mine when I started taking it.
I now take the supplement twice a day – always with food and a bottle of water, and I haven’t had any stomach problems or heartburn problems. You can get a lot more product information and reviews of this herbal supplement at Zyflamend Herbal Anti-Inflammatory.