The term superfoods was developed to describe foods that have extraordinary health promoting properties. Take a look at the superfoods infographic below for 8 foods that have superior sources of vitamins, minerals, antioxidants, and essential nutrients.
Here is an example of the difference between a broad food group and a superfood in that group, consider fruits.
Although fruits are known to be healthy sources of vitamins and antioxidants – they can also be high in calories and sugar, low in fiber, and have lesser amounts of nutrients.
Now look at the superfood kiwi fruit, which is one of the most nutritionally packed fruits there is:
- Relatively low in calories and sugar for help in controlling blood sugar spikes and insulin release
- Terrific source of fiber and nutrients, especially potassium and vitamin C – one kiwi fruit supplies your entire daily requirement of vitamin C
- High in the prebiotics and phenolics that help support the growth of beneficial probiotics, along with the regeneration of stomach lining cells
Superfoods Nutritional Health Infographic
When you look at the superfoods infographic below, you will see 8 of my favorite foods that I have added to my diet directly or through greens and fruit extracts.
These are all foods that can help take your nutritional health and fitness to another level:
- Help with keeping your blood sugar level down
- Improve your digestive health and ability to better absorb the nutrients from the foods you eat
- Prevention of chronic inflammation and the free radical activity that causes pain and disease
- Immune system support for fighting of harmful bacteria and toxins
- AND they are all natural foods without side effects